Tuesday, April 26, 2011

TOKEN SINGLE GIRL

So I know this is supposed to be an art blog, but I’m not having much time for many crafty things. I’m definitely a bi-polar artist.

So now it is for thoughts.
First on my mind, my brother found a blog that a girl wrote about a Proverbs 32 man. About what a real man should look like. And basically, he should be like Jesus. Yay! Like we didn’t know that.

Next on my mind is a twitter account that I found from a teenage girl I have known for a long time. Her entire account is dedicated to her future spouse. (#tmfs)
As I read some of the things she said it made me sad. Only because I hope she has other goals.

And then my thoughts ran around my head for a few days and this is what I came up with.

What if marriage weren’t the goal?
Since we were the smallest of children, little girls are led to believe that they will someday find their prince. Or future spouse. And we dream about all the things we will do together. We see other peoples lives and can’t wait till we find ‘the one’. This is all well and good, but as we get older and ‘the one’ seems not to be able to find us, we get discouraged.

I myself have gone through all these things. One day I looked back on my life and had the thought, “what if I had lived a life that didn’t revolve around marriage?”(or the lack thereof)
What would I have done different? How many more things would I have accomplished?
What adventures could have been had by not waiting for a man to join me on them?
I am not discounting marriage at all. I believe God wants us to want to marry, but I also think, what if you died tomorrow and you went to heaven, and they played you a movie of your life(which I think might happen ;), and most of it is spent worrying about or looking for a future spouse? What a waste!

Now to explain the title, TOKEN SINGLE GIRL. At the church I attend, my friend and I are what I feel the “Token Single Girls” whenever we get prayed for, you know there is going to be something about a future husband in the prayer. But one day, I was prayed for to have a partner. A partner in life to help me further the Kingdom of God. BAM! When that was prayed it’s like a tons of bricks turned into mud and slushed all over me. (great mental picture huh?) Since I was about 21 years old I decided that “only the deepest of love can entice me into matrimony” (Elizabeth Bennett, Pride and Prejudice) Truly the reason I want to marry is so that together, me and my husband could do more for the Kingdom than we could alone.

Two is better than one. But I’m not going to worry about when and how it will happen. [Okay I say that but then my lady hormones might kick in and I’ll start dreaming again.] But till then I’m going to try to be who God wants me to be, and apparently right now that’s single. And iiiiiiiiiiiii like it  (but anytime he wants to change that I’ll be cool with it)

1 comment:

  1. such an awesome post. and the mud slush was great imagery.
    i'm still covered in it

    ReplyDelete